Sunday, October 21, 2012

Painting: Still Life

We started out the semester with doing still lifes from photos, focusing on the handling of the paint as well as being able to see and create value/darks and lights. 

I'm really big on dramatic, directional lighting, so I waited until the sun was setting and there were long shadows in the apartment to set up my still lifes so I could take photos as reference for the paintings.

Still Life I
Black and white acrylic on canvas, 16"x20"

Really ambitious painting -- small details, leaves, transparency, minute textures, drapery....I think it still needs more work to be totally finished in the details, but I'm letting it go.

Still Life II
Black and white acrylic on canvas, 16"x20"

Professor disliked the composition of the photo, but said my painting saved it. That the painterliness of it -- washes, brushstrokes, the feeling of the paint -- added something to it that the original photo did not have.

Still Life III
Burnt umber, black and white acrylic on canvas, 16"x20" -- ok, I cheated, I used some red and yellow too, because I couldn't take how desaturated the lights became when I added white.

Went way more traditional on this one. Fruits and bowls and all. I think it is one of the best paintings I've ever done, honestly! I focused a lot on conveying the texture and weight of the forms. I'm particularly proud of the onion, I painted it while listening to the first presidential debate...pretty intense, haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment